How to create a Website?
Creating a Web site is now a really common requirement.
If you want to create a Web site yourself, without the expense of hiring an expert or specialized service, you may find it useful to read the following quick task list:
1) find some Web space (hosting). If you want the whole World to be able to see your Web pages (your personal ones, or your company site) the pages have to be hosted on a computer permanently connected to the Internet. There are many firms with dedicated Internet connections that offer this service for an annual or monthly fee (for example, DewaHost, Globat, and much more... including our own one: VisionHost). There are lots to choose from (click here for some info), so the best way is to ask your friends. There are also firms that will host your site for free (click here for a list) if you show their advertising banner on your site and/or accept poor reliability (this option should be avoided if you’re creating a company site).
2) Buy a domain name (by the way certain web spaces -see step 1- do include the domain name within the hosting fee). If your firm’s name is “Reed Steels”, it would be nice if your clients could find you by writing http://reedsteels.com or www.redsteels.com. To do this you have to buy (“register”) the “domain” reedsteels.com, and set it to point to your Web space (it is sufficient to talk with whoever sold you the Web space). There are services that deal exclusively with the selling of domain names (e.g. directnic.com), and others that also host Web sites. If you already own a free Web site, certain registration services allow you to "redirect" your domain name to the free Web space: this service is called “domain name forwarding”. For example www.yournicedomain.com may forward to www.geocities.com/intelligentpeople/7434/.
1b,2b) You can also purchase a static Internet link from your telephonic company. You will need a computer that is always switched on, with Web server software like "Apache" or "Microsoft Internet Information Server" running. The advantage of a specialized hosting firm is they have backups (multiple broadband connections; multiple PCs) and 24/7 service. Even on the night there is somebody that can reboot the system, or replace that failed hard disk with a backup.
3) Store the so called "FTP parameters" given to you by your host in a safe place. Generally they are server, user name, password, and will be required to publish your site (transfer the Website from your PC to the "server", the PC always connected).
4) Search for a Website creator software (formerly "HTML editor software"). For example EasyWebEditor and 1SITE (checklist) are two formidable tools for creating Web sites of any kind. They can manage a Web site in a single solution, and they don't require "programming" or "HLTM", so they’re much easier to use than more complex technically-orientated tools such as DreamWeaver. WIth 1SITE you can work offline then "publish" later, so you may start to create your Web site while the website hosting setup and the domain registration takes place (these two phases may require up to 48 hours).
5) Once you are happy with your site, you have to publish it to the Internet. If the software has a built-in FTP engine (EasyWebEditor, 1SITE and HyperPublish have), it is very simple. If not, you just need to search for shareware FTP software.
6) When your site is published, it is a good idea to submit it to search engines. Click here to see a list of sites that will help you with the submission.
Creating a Web site is not a complicated task. With time and patience, and a slight artistic flare, you will obtain great results.
We'd suggest to get the free EasyWebEditor trial or BUY IT now, and learn how to create a Web site in minutes! It is really simple to create a Web site with Easy Web Editor!!
Visual Vision has been selling commercial software online since 1998, and is a proud member of the Association of Software Professionals
Access New Zealand - Alta Vista (now Yahoo) - AOL search - Ask Jeeves - Belize.Net - Excite - Google - HotBot - Il Trovatore - Jayde Search Smart! - LinkCenter - LookSmart - Lycos - Mamma.com - MSN Search now Bing - Multisoft - Open Directory Project - Scrub The Web - TheSpider.it - Virgilio - WebCrawler - WebWombat Yahoo UK - Yahoo - Yahoo Italia